Thursday, August 27, 2009

Keeping our family healthy

No one wants to get sick.

No one wants a cold, the flu, a sore throat, etc, etc. And now everyone is freaked out that they (or someone they love) might get the H1N1. I am allergic to feathers and Alex is allergic to chicken (at least one of his earlier tests indicated so), so neither one of us can get any sort of flu vax. I'm not entirely thrilled at the thought of certain vaccinations, anyway, so I'm going to try to do whatever I can to keep us healthy this flu and cold season.

As you may recall, I've been using essential oils for various reasons. The aromatherapist at a local health food store said to use Aura Cacia's Medieval Mix. (Aura Cacia is one of the brands carried at the store) The Medieval Mix (the equivalent to Young Living's Thieves oil) has been blended with sweet orange, lavender, lemon, tea tree, eucalyptus, red thyme, white thyme and rosemary. I asked the aromatherapist today what it was that kept sickness at bay. She said the oils that were used were anti-bacterial or anti-viral. The way to use the oil, she advised, was to apply a drop "neatly" (straight, not diluting it) to each foot and rub it in (be sure to hit between your toes, too), either before school (or work) or before bed, or to be on the safe side, you could do both (every 12 hours). If done at night, you could blend some of the oil with some lotion and rub it on your neck and behind your ears.
NOTE: If using this on smaller children or the elderly (anyone with thin skin), blend the essential oil with olive oil, lotion, or some other carrier, as the oil is too strong to be applied neatly.

Another tip I was given today was to put a small pan of water on the stove and add some clove powder and cinnamon powder and let it permeate the house. Not only will it make your house smell delicious but it will help ward off illnesses, too. She said clove and cinnamon were two of the spices used waaay back when to help with plagues!

Just to add, I've been using lavender as part of my deodorant routine for a couple months now, and I haven't gotten my normal "summer cold." Lavender essential oil is supposed to be great for environmental allergies as well as being antibacterial. And I don't know if the lavender is the reason, but Alex hasn't been sick, either, and for the longest time he was getting sick once a month. (I'm breastfeeding, and my theory is the armpit is awfully close to the breast, so he probably inhales quite a bit of lavender. Or, and this might be far fetched, but maybe some is even finding its way into my breastmilk?)

Now I'm not saying these are fool-proof plans but I figure there's no harm in trying them!

What natural remedies do you use to keep the sickies away from your house?

No comments: