Monday, August 24, 2009

A good cry on the first day of school

Well I didn't think it could happen to me. I wasn't emotional at any point leading up to today, but as we got out of the van in front of Ajay's school I started to feel the burn behind my eyes. I kept myself in check and told Ajay that he was going to have so much fun today. Ajay has been very vocal about not wanting to go to school but I was somehow able to get him excited about it by telling him what they would be serving for breakfast. Breakfast didn't hold water when it came time to take his backpack off and hang it up on the hook with his picture. Both of his preschool teachers were very helpful and understanding. Mrs. J. eventually got the bag off, hung it up and swooped Ajay up into her arms. He then melted into tears, which prompted me to lose any composure I had. I turned away so he wouldn't see me and the teacher was left to comfort both Ajay and his mommy. She took him into the classroom while Mrs. M. brought some tissues to me and assured me he would be fine. I know he'll be fine, he's such a people person, but a mommy's heart hurts knowing that he has to go through that painful period before he warms up to those around him. He told me this morning that he didn't want to be alone. Last year he went to school with either Mommy or Daddy, and he wants it to be the same this year. I saw a father dropping his child off for class. He was outfitted with his digital camera, just as I was, and he had the telltale red eyes of a parent having a bit of a tough time letting go. I saw other parents passing me in the hallway giving me that "It'll be okay" look. Alex was riding in the sling and I had to laugh as I thought to myself how different the two boys have been. Ajay has always had a hard time with seperation - at the Y for kid care; when I worked at the library (even tho he was staying at home with Biju); when I left him with my sister as I ran an errand. He was always fine after awhile, and once he got used to the new routine, there were no more tears. Alex hasn't had such a separation issue so I'm hoping that in 2.5 years, when it comes time to drop him off at preschool, there won't be such an emotional departure.
Breakfast should be over soon, then they'll go to the restroom and Mrs. M will call me to give me an update.
....................................
Right after I put Alex down for his nap, Mrs. J called to tell me Ajay was fine. He ate a tiny bit at breakfast, then had a freak-out moment in the restroom (darn those automatic flushers!) but that he was back in the classroom with all of the other children sitting on the rug, ready for the next part of the day.
I think I'll go do some tasks around the house to keep my mind occupied. After all, I leave to pick Ajay up from school in less than 2 hours!
(BTW I only got one photo of Ajay in front of his school, and the booger is SMILING like he was happy to be there! I wasn't able to get any more shots once we got inside and the whole emotional turmoil began. I won't be posting that one pic on here simply because it has the name of the school in the background, and ya gotta be safe on the 'net!)
PS - I forgot to mention earlier that Alex was asking "A-day? A-day?" on the way back to the van. I told him Ajay was in school.. "coo?" Yes, he's in school, we'll pick him up in a few hours.. "our?" Then we got back here and he kept calling "Buh-buh?" Poor kid. I'm sure it'll take a few days for him to adjust, too.
We'll make it.

No comments: