Tuesday, March 24, 2009

Deaf History Month

Did you know there was a Deaf History Month? I had no clue until I heard it mentioned on the radio this morning. It seems the dates are March 13 through April 15. I wanted to know more and found out there's also a Deaf Person of the Year. If you follow that link, you can scroll to the bottom of the page and see the Deaf Person of the Month through the years 2007-2009.
I'm currently teaching Alex sign language and Ajay still remembers bits of what he learned when he was a baby. Alex can sign "milk," "all done," "eat," and "more." "More" seems to be a catch-all sign. He signs it in his own way - more like punching one fist against the palm of the other hand. Once, when Biju and I dropped the boys off in the KidZone at the Y, the worker picked Alex up and he immediately started punching his palm. She looked at me and said "What does that mean?" and I told her it means "more" but he probably is using it to mean he wants to eat.

We've been checking out Signing Time videos to help supplement what I vaguely remember from my American Sign Language class back in college. Maybe during Deaf History Month I can make a point to "re-learn" many of those forgotten signs! Here is a great website to look up just about any word you can think of. The site uses a QuickTime video of the sign along with a verbal description of what you should do with your hands/face.
Happy Deaf History Month!!

No comments: