Friday, July 3, 2009

A visit from Mr. Bambisk

Last evening, we had an unexpected visitor. Shortly after Biju left to run an errand, my doorbell rang. Alex and I opened the door and saw a young boy, about Ajay's age, standing on our front porch. He looked quite similar to our elder child so I invited him in. He was immediately on his best behavior. Since Ajay had disappeared I thought this young boy would like to stay the night in Ajay's bed. I told him that he could use the restroom and put on Ajay's pajamas that were laying across the foot of Ajay's bed. He seemed concerned and asked if I thought Ajay would mind him wearing his pjs and sleeping in his bed. I told him I didn't think Ajay would mind. He pulled out his cell phone from mid-air, it seemed, and rang up Ajay, just to be sure. He then called his mommy and daddy to ask permission to have a sleepover. Permission was granted.
He asked me my name, so I told him I was Mrs. J, and that this young child with me was Ajay's younger brother, Alex. I then asked what his name was, and was told Bambisk. I explained to young Mr. Bambisk that I needed to get Alex into his pajamas and nurse him then put him to bed and when I was done with that, I could read him two of Ajay's stories. While I was nursing Alex, I asked Mr. Bambisk to do something that Ajay sometimes helps with, which is finding Alex's binkies under the crib. He politely obliged and even offered to rinse the binkies off. He also came back with a chip that he said he and Ajay were sharing. Apparently, Ajay had come back while I was in Alex's bedroom. After I got Alex down to bed, Mr. Bambisk and I headed to Ajays bedroom, where Mr. Bambisk asked why Ajay used a nightlight. I explained it was to reassure Ajay that there were no monsters in his room. I went on to say that Ajay slept with a buddy and a handkerchief, and that the handkerchief was magical - whenever Ajay slept with it, it made him disappear so any monsters he may think are in the room could not see him.
My vision and hearing were a little off last night and I couldn't see Ajay, nor hear him, but Mr. Bambisk was quite certain Ajay was with us. Therefore, Ajay joined us in washing our faces and brushing our teeth - Mr. B helped Ajay out by wiping his face off and holding his toothbrush for him. We read the two stories, then made room on the big pillow on the floor for everyone to pray. We then gave both boys their hugs and kisses goodnight.
It was Mr. Bambisk who woke first this morning and came out to the living room to greet us. According to Mr. B, Ajay was opening his curtains. I was happy that the boys were able to sleep in harmony the whole night.
Mr. Bambisk plans to stay with us for quite awhile but assures us he has asked his parents for permission. Biju and I told him that surely his parents would miss him, so we've invited them to come for a visit anytime they please. Mr. Bambisk is quite the pleasant young fellow, and we hope that many of you will have the chance to meet him.

No comments: