Wednesday, July 1, 2009

Our growing garden

These plants are getting big!! Our corn has tasseled out, but they still seem a bit short to me. Our zucchini plants are as tall as Ajay and super wide. We were able to get our first zuke today, I can't wait to eat it! I'll probably slice it up and saute it in a bit of olive oil. Yum! We also got two green beans off the vine. Very odd since there are NO other beans, not even baby beans, growing. Lots of flowers, but no beans. I guess we're just getting a little preview of whats to come. The tomato plants are riddled with blight (I'm not sure, exactly, what that is, but from what I've read, it seems like spores, fungus, all that nasty gunk. Not good for the plant!). In the pictures you'll be able to see all the yellow leaves w/ black spots. After the photos were taken, I went out and pruned off all the nasty leaves. The one plant is now looking quite bare. I went back out today and found more yellow leaves. I made up a baking soda/liquid soap/oil/water mixture as suggested on one of my favorite sites (http://littlehouseinthesuburbs.com/2009/06/early-blight-catches-tomato.html) and sprayed the two tomato plants, and hit just about everything else to be on the safe side. The tomato plants have had a few blooms, but haven't started growing any 'maters, yet. The pepper plants, which have been blooming for over a month now, have yet to drop any fruit, either! Biju's hot pepper plant is gone. I think a critter got to it as it was laying on top of the soil w/ signs of being gnawed on. The peas are completely gone, as in it doesn't even look like we ever had anything growing in their spot. The onion tops are looking a bit thin, but hopefully they're getting nice and fat underground. The eggplants are getting big and I noticed one bloom starting (on the smallest of the 4 plants, if you can believe it! I guess size doesn't matter). We have several blooms on our spaghetti squash plant, which is taking over more than its fair share of land. I can see a couple of bulbous squash starting, so I can't wait to see what we get! Enough rambling, here are the photos of our garden from a couple days ago:

The corn - not so tall, but tasseling, which I'm guessing means it will start growing corn soon? (and in the background, Alex is being scolded, yet again, for tromping through the garden)



Biju's poor, dead hot pepper plant, then the 4 pepper plants that are filling out, just not giving peppers:


Our eggplants:


Look at all that blight :( See how that one is taller than Biju when lifted up? They're too tall and heavy for the "cages" they're in, and the plants are bending back down towards the ground.



One of our zukes plants, and the zucchini we picked today!



Ajay (none-too-thrilled) next to the spaghetti squash, with the bush beans behind, then a close up of the blooming beans:

No comments: