Wednesday, August 27, 2014

Recipe Wednesday: PBB&A Smoothie

Okay, I'm not so creative with the smoothie names.  The name doesn't really matter, does it, so long as the smoothie actually tastes good??
For a long time now I've been trying to find another smoothie to put an apple into.  This Banapple Smoothie is still quite tasty but I like to vary my breakfasts.  (Don't you?)
I hunted around on Pinterest and combined a couple of smoothie recipes plus added my own little twist.  Peanut butter tastes good with apples AND bananas so why not toss it in the blender with everything else??  (I'm guessing Almond Butter or Sunflower Butter would be just as tasty if you can't have peanuts.)
I usually add in some protein powder for a little extra vegan protein boost - your choice!

PBB&A Smoothie (Peanut Butter, Banana & Apple)

1 c. almond milk
1 apple (with peel, no core) (about 145 g.) (I use Gala)
1 frozen spinach cube 
1 frozen banana (about 126 g) (When your bananas start getting spotty, peel them, break them in half or quarters and place them into a freezer baggie, freeze.  They're now easy to grab for a smoothie.  I used to cut the bananas into slices which made them more difficult to measure out and they froze in a huge clump.  Half pieces are so much easier, if you ask me.)
1/4 tsp pumpkin pie spice (this is what I had on hand, I'm guessing apple pie spice would taste equally yummy!)
splash of vanilla extract (about 1g)
1/2 Tbs chia seed (about 6g)
1 Tbs peanut butter (about 16g)
Half to One scoop of protein powder.  This is optional and I will use either half or a whole scoop depending on my protein/calorie needs on a given day.

Place into high speed blender and give it a whir.  Enjoy!
If you don't have a high speed blender, I suggest using fresh/partially thawed, not frozen, ingredients.

This is sooo yummy!  It is my current favorite :)  Try it and let me know what you think!

1 comment:

Cindy & Jim said...

I've been using nutella in some of my smoothies .. that's good too!