Wednesday, September 3, 2014

Recipe Wednesday: The Orange Grape Smoothie

Time for another yummy smoothie recipe!

I came up with this one while on the hunt for a smoothie that didn't need almond milk.  I had ran out and needed something for breakfast.  I had some grapes and orange juice in the fridge so I figured I could use those as my liquid base.  I looked around (of course, on Pinterest!) and combined a couple recipes to come up with this tasty drink!

The Orange Grape Smoothie

1/2 c. grapes (about 75 g.)  (I've used green, red and black grapes all at different times and all three of them taste yummy here.)
4 oz. orange juice
2 oz. coconut milk (If you don't have any on hand you can just use and additional 2oz. of OJ)
1/2 Tbs. chia seed (about 6g)
1/4 c. rolled oats (12g.) (gluten free if needed.)
1/2 c. frozen strawberries (70g)
1/2 frozen banana
1 frozen spinach cube
1/2 scoop protein powder (optional) (I've used Vanilla Spiced Chai as well as regular Vanilla, it is your choice for flavors.)

Place into a high speed blender, in order, and blend.  Or, as I usually suggest, use fresh/partially thawed ingredients if you don't have a high speed blender.

This is a great smoothie to start your day.  It has all sorts of good-for-you ingredients and it tastes delish!  Let me know what you think!



2 comments:

Anna said...

So it this all you "eat" for breakfast? My body really needs to chew my food to really get full and stay full. Is there something you eat too?

Kalinda said...

No, all I have for my breakfasts are smoothies. These are all very filling (calorie counts are in the mid-300s to low 400s!). I don't even need a snack between breakfast and lunch. I chew lunch, dinner and snacks.
Also, they are thick, so your mouth can feel like there is more to it than just, say, milk or water.