Wednesday, September 21, 2011

Recipe Wednesday - Hummus

I am currently refraining myself from eating this stuff with a spoon.  Instead, I'm scooping it up with red/yellow/orange pepper slices.  Crunch crunch yum yum.

3 cloves of garlic
- put into the blender/food processor/Magic Bullet and chop it up.

Add into the blender with the garlic:
1/4 cup of lemon juice (I'm sure it'd be better from a fresh lemon, but I just used the stuff from a bottle.)
1/2 tsp. salt
3 Tbs. Tahini (I'm guessing it was around 3Tbs - it was separated so sorta hard to measure.)
Blend it all up.

Add:
2   15oz-cans chick peas/garbanzo beans (drained, juice reserved)

Start blending.  It won't take long until you'll need to add in some of the reserved "juice" from the beans.  I ended up using close to 1 cup.  It all depends on the consistency you'd like.

Enjoy with peppers, pita/pita chips, cucumber, as a sandwich spread, etc, etc.

You can always add other stuff, if you like. 
Cumin
a little paprika on top
maybe drizzle a bit of olive oil on top sprinkled with sunflower seeds
(I'm even toying with the idea of blending up a cup or so of the hummus w/ an avocado!)

No comments: