Wednesday, March 18, 2009

The Ugly Ear Infection

I took Alex to see the PA yesterday (we really need to find a new doctor/ped since our family practioner left the practice). First off, I'm happy to report that Alex still weighed 18lb 12oz. Still small, but at least he didn't lose weight when he stopped eating food over the weekend. Second, and not so happily, his ear infection is back with a vengence. The left ear looks alright, but the right ear is bulging. The PA gave me a prescription for another antibiotic, and I'm very hesitant to give it to him. I made a trip to the health food store (hfs) yesterday and picked up some essential oils and some lotion that doesn't have all the yucky stuff (like fermalahyde) that regular store bought lotions do (like our Johnson & Johnson!). The aromatherapist at the hfs told me to blend one or two squirts of the lotion with one or two drops of the oil and rub it in various locations (chest, back of neck, bottom of feet). This is to help w/ his congestion, etc. I've also been mixing one of the oils w/ a couple drops of our organic extra virgin olive oil and rubbing it behind his ears. I'm hoping doing this multiple times a day will help heal his EI and we won't have to resort to the antibiotic. (I thank Tina for this tip!)
While doing research on the oils, I've learned lavender oil has many benefits. Not only is it calming, but it can also help with burns. Burn yourself while in the kitchen? Rub some lavender oil on it and it will help. (If it is a really bad burn and it starts to sting a couple hours later, reapply the oil) Peppermint oil is great for headaches. You can dab a drop on your nose, or at your temples. **This is just my paraphrasing of what I've read. Please do a bit of research to be sure you're applying the oils correctly.
I'll update in a day or two how the treatment of Alex's EI is progressing!

No comments: