Wednesday, April 25, 2012

What is your hobby?

I was online earlier today visiting a message board about mamas who like to crochet.  It is a fabulous "support" group and my favorite thread is the "finished projects" of the month - there are always tons of great pictures of crochet projects.  I haven't joined Pinterest (yet) so this is my current source of inspiration.  Oh, and I found this color website through one of the ladies on the board.  I think anyone who loves color (for whatever reason/craft will find that site drool worthy). 

So one of the discussions today revolved around our yarn stashes.  How much yarn do you have and where do you store it.  I had to admit that my yarn had once been stored in two storage bins but over the last year or two, the yarn had gotten used here and there and was spread throughout various locations in our bedroom and living room.

It was time to do some organizing. 

I didn't take a before photo.  You can thank me later for sparing you that big mess. 

I got started about 20 min. before Biju got home from work and Ajay got home from school.  Once they were home, it was time to go to the gym, then home for dinner, then the boys' bedtime routine.  I was finally able to get back to the project, though, and get everything sorted out.  A good thing, too, since I took up the whole living room with my yarn and what not. 

The box on the left is my "sewing" box - I don't sew much so this box is headed straight to the garage tomorrow morning.  Then, of course, the big box-o-yarn plus a few other things that go along w/ the sport of crochet.  The blue notebook contains patterns I've printed off.  The white heart basket contains all those little tiny balls of yarn leftover from bigger projects.  The brown bag on the left is my current project bag (I can't let you peek in there right now, it's a swap project for someone who reads this blog); the orange bag contains a few "hibernating" projects that need to be "frogged." - That is, projects that are not going to be finished and need to be ripped out so I can re-purpose the yarn.  The brown bag on the right holds all of my 100% wool and the unfinished projects it is attached to.  Those are hibernating projects also, but I do plan on finishing them, so I won't be frogging them. 

The yarn on top will get more use than the stuff on the bottom.  I think a lot of the "other stuff" was free from this place or that person and I'm not entirely sure what to do with it.  Most of it is too coarse for my liking.  I'll either find some little project to use it for, or I'll pass it on to someone else who thinks they might get some use out of it. 
So....what is your hobby?  What do you like to do if you get a few spare moments?  Is it a solo hobby or do you enjoy it with others?  Do you dabble in several hobbies? 

4 comments:

Erin said...

LOL! That is so funny...I started a blog yesterday about my knitting group and yarn obsession! :) I will get it finished...just need to upload pictures!

Rawsonfamilyof5 said...

Pinterest is amazing for recipes and craft ideas! I get lost on there for hours and I have learned and done so many neat things from there! You will love it. If you do join follow me Rawsonfamilyof5 or Caitlin Rawson.

Unknown said...

Hi fellow crocheter! I saw your post on babycenter and happy to be your newest follower! I would love for you to stop by my blog if you have a chance! www.RepeatCrafterMe.com. -Sarah

Kalinda said...

Erin - I'll head over right now to check out your newest post!

Caity - you keep twisting my arm and I might have to join!

Sarah - I've actually been visiting your blog for a week or two now. In fact, your blog has made my list of blogs that I follow (on the right side of the screen).