Wednesday, August 24, 2011

Prefolds, Wool and OneSize, Oh My!

Wanna know about the diapers we use?  (We still use a few disposable diapers, mainly at night, but I'm sure you don't want to hear about anything quite so boring and yucky as those, right?) 
I have a few (6) small-sized prefold diapers that Aren is filling out quite well.  It will soon be time to bump him up to the bigger sized prefolds I have.  Many of those, though, are too "used" to use after they diapered both Ajay and Alex.  I do have 4-5 decent looking "blue-edge" prefolds I can still use.  Which will, I'm sure, be too big and I'll have to fold them down in the back as well as the front.  In the meantime, I'm enjoying the great fit we're getting with these small prefolds (that I dyed back when I was pregnant with Alex, I do believe).




By the way - if you're interested, I think this is called the newspaper fold.  I'm not sure.  It was something I learned back when diapering Baby Ajay and I forgot the name of it.  There are a lot of different folds to use.  I've even been known to use the "bikini twist" when the babies start to crawl as it allows more room for moving thighs.

While I was still pregnant with Aren I crocheted up a Tickle Turdle Wrap in size "small."  It is still too big so I've been folding the top down in front.  I think it has a great fit over the prefolds.  I'm going to make up another one (or two!) in some wool I've got in my yarn stash.  (Here is a wonderful article about why wool is so wonderful to use as a diaper cover.)




When I'm not using prefolds and wool (he hasn't grown into the medium Proraps, yet), we're using the bumGenius! OneSize diapers.



 I have one Baby Kanga that I love and a few other dipes that I use on him. 

Baby Kanga
I actually need to beef up my diaper stash.  I should be selling my newborn stash soon which will fund a few new mediums, right??  To be honest, I think I might get more of the Baby Kangas - the one I have still looks new even after diapering Alex through potty-training and it fits Aren at around 11 pounds.

Oh, and while we're here, I'll show you where I store the dirties until washtime:



We invested in a big trashcan with a flip-top lid.  Unfortunately, the spring inside doesn't work so I can't use the foot pedal to open it but it still does the job after 6 years of use and 3 babies.  That teal bag has an elastic opening and covered in PUL to keep the diaper bin dry.  It makes it easy to grab the diapers and carry them to the washing machine. 

Any questions?  Please ask - either leave a comment or e-mail me!   

No comments: