Tuesday, May 26, 2009

As if by magic...

So far, I've been pretty surprised that stuff is actually growing in our garden. It's always so satisfying to go out to the garden each morning to see the progress our little plants have made. Some plants are creeping up little by little and the changes are barely noticeable. Others spring up as if by magic. Our corn, for example, suddenly shot up an inch in one day (I swear!). I'm so angry at the bunnies, tho! I don't see them as much as I used to but somehow the tops of our corn keeps disappearing. I have some of Alex's hair from his haircut so I'm going to go out and sprinkle it around the garden. (I did this last week, but watered right afterwards and I think all the hair got washed away. I've already watered the garden this morning, so now I'll go sprinkle the hair and see if that makes a difference)
The most shocking difference, however, has been our bush beans. I planted them last Wed and as of Sunday morning before we left for my parents, I couldn't find a sprout amongst the 30ish seeds. This morning, Tuesday, only two days later, I went out to find two rows of plants! They range from only a one inch sprout to a 4 inch tall plant. I am simply amazed. Our lone spaghetti squash plant (in the same plot of land) has decided to have a growth spurt, also.
I wish I knew more about how plants grow their fruit....our pepper plants have buds on them, and a couple have had a little white flower. I thought that a pepper would then grow from that, but the flower petals have now fallen off, and I don't see anything else growing in it's place. One even had the little stem that held the flower fall completely off. The garden looks nice, but looks won't mean anything if the plants don't produce!
Here's the rundown of what we have planted (and I've now learned that we've planted certain veggies next to their plant-enemies, but I"m hoping they bear fruit regardless. Next year I'll try to be more mindful of where we place everything).
Row 1: about 30 Pea plants
Row 2: about 15 white onions, about 12 red onions, 1 Hot pepper plant
Row 3: 1 yellow pepper plant, 1 red pepper plant, 2 green bell pepper plants, 1 zucchini
Row 4: 4 eggplants
Row 5: 2 tomato plants, 1 zucchini
Row 6: 7 corn stalks
In a seperate area of the yard (originally intended for melons and strawberries)
1 spaghetti squash
30+ bush beans (green beans)
I'm still hoping to clear a patch next to the house for some strawberries. Since they won't be edible this year, I'd like to get them started so we can start having them next year. I'm interested in grapevines, but understand they can be a bit difficult so we'll probably pass for now. Garlic is something else we'd like to get into the ground. I hear they can take over, but we'd really be okay with that since we use so much. Now we just need to get a few chickens to lay some eggs for us, and we'll be just about set! (only partially kidding about the chickens)

No comments: