Wednesday, September 12, 2012

Recipe Wednesday - Black Bean Chili

I found a chili recipe online and made a few adjustments, mainly because I wanted to use what I already had on hand.  This turned out delish and I will surely make again. Just like this. 

Ingredients:
1 T. of oil, or so
1 onion, chopped
2-3 T. chili powder (the powder for chili, not the dried chilis crushed into a powder)
1-2 T. cumin
A few cranks of black pepper
1 28 oz. can of diced tomatoes (or 2-3 med/large sized tomatoes, chopped - keep and use the juices that run off!)
1 14.5 oz. can of chicken broth (use veggie broth to make this vegetarian/vegan)
2 15.25 oz. cans of black beans, rinsed, drained
1 can of sweet kernel corn (don't know the size, I don't have any more in my cupboard right now)
1 tsp. of salt, or so 

In a large sauce pan heat the oil over medium high heat.  Add in your onions and cook until tender.  Shake in the chili powder, cumin and pepper.  Let the spices cook for about a minute then add in the tomatoes, broth, beans and corn.  Season to taste with salt.  Bring to a boil then reduce heat and simmer for about 20 minutes or so.

So tasty.  Easy to make up quickly when you've forgotten to plan dinner and you need to rummage through your cupboards to throw something together. 

I topped mine with a dollop of yogurt.  I even threw on some Bugles that we had on hand for some added crunch.  (They get soggy quickly, so don't throw a bunch in at once.)  You could probably get the same flavor/crunch by using Frito's. 

No comments: