Wednesday, September 8, 2010

What is this? - The Answer!

Shortly after publishing the previous post my sister-in-law, Brandi, YIM'd (Yahoo Instant Messenger) me to let me know that this was Poke Weed. She said: "hey, i can answer the question on the berries. they are poke weed berries. you do not want to eat them, they are not good for you."

My aunt, Tina, also contacted me letting me know that she, too, had this growing in her yard. When I told her what Brandi had told me, she did a bit more research.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pokeweed
Here is what caught my attention most about this article:
[Toxic] In humans:

The eating of limited quantities of poke, perhaps of the shoots, may cause retching or vomiting after two hours or more. These signs may be followed by dyspnea, perspiration, spasms, severe purging, prostration, tremors, watery diarrhea and vomiting (sometimes bloody) and, sometimes, convulsions. In severe poisonings, symptoms are weakness, excessive yawning, slowed breathing, fast heartbeat, dizziness, and possibly seizures, coma and death.


ACK!! So glad I didn't let the boys eat them. Next year, I'll get out the loppers as soon as I see them growing.

No comments: