My aunt, Tina, also contacted me letting me know that she, too, had this growing in her yard. When I told her what Brandi had told me, she did a bit more research.
Here is what caught my attention most about this article:
- [Toxic] In humans:
The eating of limited quantities of poke, perhaps of the shoots, may cause retching or vomiting after two hours or more. These signs may be followed by dyspnea, perspiration, spasms, severe purging, prostration, tremors, watery diarrhea and vomiting (sometimes bloody) and, sometimes, convulsions. In severe poisonings, symptoms are weakness, excessive yawning, slowed breathing, fast heartbeat, dizziness, and possibly seizures, coma and death.
ACK!! So glad I didn't let the boys eat them. Next year, I'll get out the loppers as soon as I see them growing.