Monday, August 25, 2008

Food - our worst enemy

I'm growing to hate food.

Zucchini seems to be causing him issues, and now the green beans I gave him the other day have made him sound raspy again. I think the beef I've been eating is also going onto our "no" list. I just don't know what to eat/feed him!

We went to see a new pediatrician today. He said the sound, although it sounds like it's coming from his lungs, is from tha nasal/sinus area. His lungs are clear, so he doesn't have asthma (at least for now). He gave us a prescription for a nasal spray, it is a topical steroid, so doesn't get into his system. I'd like to do some research on it before we fill the prescription. He said it would help the enlarged mucus membranes go back to normal size, and that would help him not sound so "snotty."

He doesn't recommend having him tested at the allergists again until he's one, because allergies and sensitivities come and go - losing those he has now, gaining new ones later. The mucus sound will be lessened by the steroid, so if/when I eat something he is sensitive to, he shouldn't sound as snotty. As long as Alex continues to grow and not seem bothered by the reaction, I should eat most everything, except the Top 8 Allergens (Dairy, Egg, Wheat, Soy, Fish, Shellfish, Peanuts, Treenuts). As for feeding Alex, we can give him vegetables and fruits, and rice cereal. If he seems to react to something he eats directly, take it out of his diet for a month or two, then try again.

I'm still too gun-shy to add many things back into my diet. I guess we'll just have to see!

No comments: