Saturday, March 1, 2014

Super Bowl Sunday

When Biju and I were dating I told him that we were a good match because neither of us watched or cared about football.

Over the years, the more he talked with his co-workers the more he gained an interest in the sport.  Oh, joy.  He started coming home talking about teams and every now and then our TV would get tuned to a game on Sunday.

He eventually started picking teams he liked/didn't like, quarterbacks he didn't care for for one reason or another and our Sunday afternoons became Football Time - like so many other households in America.

Well, great.

Since my Indian-born husband could learn the details of the sport I guessed I might as well figure out how it all worked, too.  I did cheer for football during my cheerleading days in high school but I never understood it.  I just followed along when the other girls started yelling.  First and Ten! Whoo!  (whatever that meant!)

Here's a 13/14 year old Kalinda at Cheer Camp in 1992

While watching games with Biju I asked him questions, he explained what he knew and suddenly football actually meant something....something other than a bunch of grown men wear spandex and running around after a ball I could never see. (Modern TV technology is immensely helpful these days, if it weren't for those yellow lines and other graphics I would have a hard time keeping up with everything.)

Football still means nothing to me unless I choose a team to root for.  Obviously, the Chiefs are high on my list.  Annnnd that's actually about the extent of my list.

A few years ago, our good friends, the Rouses, invited us to a couple of Super Bowl Parties.  Now that they've abandoned us  moved to Texas, we stay at home for "the big game."


The day my parents drove back home, after celebrating Alex's birthday, was Super Bowl Sunday.  We turned on the game.....and were severely disappointed.  We were hoping for a good game and all we saw was a cremation.  The game couldn't even hold my attention so I went up to the kitchen to fiddle around in there, only occasionally taking a peek at what was happening.

Biju stayed tuned in for the whole thing, though, and even had a bit of company to distract him watch with him.



Congrats to the Seahawks, though.  Too bad it wasn't a more well-rounded game. 

No comments: