Wednesday, May 21, 2014

Recipe Wednesday - Mexi-Quinoa

As many of you know I've been eating a vegan, gluten free diet for a few months now.  (Many of you didn't know that since I think this is the first time I've mentioned the "gluten free" part on the blog, but now you're all caught up!)  I've also signed up to run a 5k with my girlfriend Lisa.  (Yes, it's true.  I've gone 'round the bend!)

Since I've taken meat, eggs and dairy out of my diet AND I'm doing some intense (for me) runs, I need a good source of plant-based protein.  Quinoa happens to be a great source!  I try to use it as much as I can, in my burgers, in my smoothies (yes!) and here in this dish.

I came across this recipe awhile back and, as usual, made a few tweaks.  I think I made enough changes that I can post it here and say it isn't the same recipe.

Mexi-Quinoa
2-3 Tsp. Coconut Oil
1 Red Onion, finely chopped
1.5 - 2 cups Chopped Red, Yellow and Orange Bell Peppers (we buy the three pack combo when they're on sale, chop them and freeze them.  Then when I need them for something like this, I just open  up the freezer bag and pour some out.)
3-4 Cloves Garlic, finely chopped
1 Tbs. Chili Powder (next time, I might try using homemade taco seasoning)
1 c. Uncooked Quinoa (rinsed, drained)
1.5 - 2 c. Vegetable Broth
1 Tbs. Lime Juice
2/3 c. Nutritional Yeast (make sure this is nutritional yeast, not any other kind)
1 jar of your favorite salsa (about 680mL)
1 can Black Beans, rinsed, drained
Corn Chips

In a dutch-oven, heat the oil over medium then add the onions and peppers.  Cook until tender then add in the garlic.  Cook for 1-2 minutes.  Sprinkle in the chili powder, cook about one minute.  Put in the quinoa, veggie broth and lime juice and give a quick stir to get everything mixed together.  Bring to a boil then place a lid on the pan, reduce the heat to low and simmer for about 15 minutes.
Once all the liquid is absorbed stir in the nutritional yeast, salsa and black beans.  (The nutritional yeast gives this dish a sense of cheesiness!) 
Serve with chips.

No comments: