Wednesday, December 14, 2011

Recipe Wednesday: Parmesan Rice and Peas with Bacon

~~~~
I love this recipe.  I got it from a book I checked out from the library years ago.  My apologies, I can't remember the title.  I haven't had this dish in awhile - I think it's time to add these ingredients to our shopping list! 

Parmesan Rice and Peas with Bacon

Prep time: 10 min Start to Finish: 45 Minutes Yield: 8

2 slices bacon, chopped

1 med onion, chopped (½ cup)

1 c uncooked long-grain regular rice

1 can (14 oz) chicken broth

½ c water

1 c frozen baby sweet peas, thawed

¾ c grated parmesan cheese

1/8 tsp pepper

1. In 2-quart saucepan, cook bacon over medium heat 3-4 minutes, stirring occasionally until crisp. Stir in onion. Cook stirring occasionally until tender.

2. Stir in rice until well coated with bacon drippings. Stir in broth and water. Heat to boiling; reduce heat to low. Cover and simmer about 20 minutes or until rice is tender and broth is absorbed.

3. Gently stir in peas. Cover and cook 1-2 minutes or until peas are hot; remove from heat. Stir in cheese and pepper.

1 Serving: Calories: 160 (Cal from fat 40); Total Fat: 4.5g (Sat fat 2g); Cholesterol: 10mg; Sodium:430mg; Total Carbs: 24g (Dietary Fiber: 1g, Sugar 2g); Protein: 8g.

No comments: