Friday, October 10, 2008

Making Fingerpaints

Ajay had been asking for quite some time to do some fingerpainting. However, the storebought tubes we had had turned runny and weren't worth using. I had a few different recipes, and decided to try the flour route. The others called for clear dishsoap, which I didnt' have, or bar soap, like Ivory, which I didn't have. I'll give the recipe at the end of the photos.

Ajay helping to prepare the flour and other ingredients.
















Playing with the measuring cup while the concoction cooks.





















Adding the food coloring, tasting the food coloring, mixing the food coloring...


















All the colors together
















Enjoying the fruits of our labor




















Here is the recipe. I'm going to try some other recipes after I pick up the necessary ingredients - I wasn't exactly thrilled with the way these turned out, but overall, they weren't that bad.

Homemade Finger Paint
2 c. flour
2 tsp. salt
2.5 c. cold water
2 c. boiling water
Food coloring

Mix 2 cups of flour with 2 teaspoons of salt. Add 2.5 cups cold water. Stir until smooth. Gradually add this mixture to 2 cups of boilng water. Boil until smooth and thick. Add food coloring, then stir until smooth.
***This recipe did not say to refrigerate, but I learned the hard way. Be sure to stick leftover paints in the fridge, and use, I'd say, within the week??

1 comment:

The Rouse House said...

How fun! Those are such bright colors too.