Wednesday, December 22, 2010

Recipe Wednesday - Tomato Topping

I got this, basically, from the Everyday Foods magazine by Martha Stewart.  I wasn't able to follow her directions exactly with what I had on hand so I used what I did have.  And boy howdy, lemme tellya - I got addicted - I blended a bit of this up w/ some water to make an impromptu spaghetti sauce, but the way I liked it best was on cheesy bread - bread w/ cheese on top baked in the oven til the cheese was melted and the crust was crusty.  (I used a croissant w/ provolone once, another time I used plain ole whole wheat bread w/ shredded cheddar.  Each time was delish.)

3 cans diced tomatoes (14oz. ea) - you really should use more to make more, but I only had 3 on hand.
3 smashed garlic cloves (mine were so smashed I was able to scatter the tiny pieces throughout the tomato mixture)
3 Tbs. olive oil.
Salt
Pepper
Oregano (optional)

Preheat oven to 400 deg.

Pour the diced tomatoes onto a cookie sheet, dot with crushed garlic and drizzle the olive oil on top.  Season with a bit of salt, pepper and crushed, dried oregano, if using.  Roast 45 minutes, turn pan (I gave it a little stir at this point but I don't think you have to), then roast another 30-45 minutes until its all thick.  Either use right away or let it cool and refrigerate (up to a week). 

No comments: