Thursday, February 24, 2011

Recipe Wednesday - Tea

(This should've been posted yesterday but we've been having internet issues, so it is a day late.  My apologies.)

This is tea from loose-leaf tea, not from a tea bag.  This will serve 4 and the servings are more for an actual teacup, not a coffee mug (like most of us normally drink out of).  Just play with the measurements to get it the way you like it. 

4 cups of milk/water mixture (this is to your liking - you can go 2 c. milk with 2 c. water, or any combination, even pure milk or pure water if you choose.)
Put into saucepan over medium to high heat.  Add about 1 Tbs. dried tea leaves and 1 Tbs. sugar and bring to a boil.  Once it hits boil, reduce to a simmer.  Simmer for about 2-3 minutes - watch for the milk to turn tan.  Remove from heat.  Taste to be sure you like the tea and/or sugar measurement.  (If you need more tea leaves, you'll have to add the leaves while still cooking, but the sugar can be added anytime.) 

Pour over a tea strainer then use the back of a spoon to press the rest of the liquid out of the tea leaves in the strainer.  Pour the tea into cups and enjoy!

Edited: 


I have now officially tried this recipe on my own (as opposed to watching someone else make it) and can add my own two cents.  In the above recipe, I was referring to cups as in tea cup size, so not a full 8-oz. cup of milk/water.  Here, I'm using a regular measurement of 8oz.  Also, it took forever for my tea to come to a boil - we use an electric top stove as opposed to a gas stove, which brought it all to a boil very quickly.  By the time it made it to a boil, it already looked pretty tan, so I just let it boil, reduced the heat (took my eyes off of it for 2 seconds and it boiled over) then shut it off.  The more I make it, the more comfortable I'll feel and be able to tweak it as I go along.  Here are the changes I will make next time: 


3 c. water
1 c. milk
1 heaping tablespoon of tea leaves 
1.5-2 tablespoons of sugar (more or less for your taste buds)

1 comment:

Sarah said...

mmm, I have been drinking warm tea like it is going out of style lately! My favorite has been (decaf)Chai tea =)