Sunday, October 18, 2009

Lost and Found

Children have a way of losing things. It is usually up to the child to find it again, although getting the child to lead you to the lost spot is sometimes troublesome. At the beginning of the summer, we were visiting my parents and the VCR/DVD remote disappeared. We searched high and low. We dug our hands into the nooks and crannies of the various couches and recliners in the living room, moved furniture around, even looked in strange and random places in other rooms of the house. Our visit ended, still unable to find the remote.
During the next trip, my mom pointed out that they couldn't pause the DVD we were watching, nor could we access the menu because the remote was still missing.
Flash forward to this weekend. We went up for another visit. Friday evening Mom mentioned that they bought a new remote to finally replace the one that was never found. THIRTY DOLLARS!! Ouch! Saturday morning the boys were playing around in the living room and Alex got his hands on a remote. I went up to him and said something like "Oh, no, sir, let's not lose this one, too!" I saw that he was trying to put that remote into the VHS slot. Jokingly, I said, "Is that where the other one went?" and I put my hand inside, expecting to feel a tape. No tape... I felt - you guessed it - the lost remote!! Now why didn't we think of that before?? It took Alex trying to do it again for me to even think about looking inside the VCR.
So now they have two remotes. One for safe keeping in case a grandchild loses the other.

1 comment: