Wednesday, September 1, 2010

Recipe Wednesday - Broccoli with Cheese

You may or may not have noticed that there have not been recipes posted the last two Wednesdays. This has to do with my lack of creativity. We're trying to count calories around here and we end up going back to the old standbys - usually a recipe I've already posted on here. I did make up some broccoli with "cheese sauce" last night. I actually called it "Broccoli and Cheese Mush" but I didn't think that sounded like a title yummy enough to draw people in to actually look at the recipe :)

Ingredients:
2 Cups chopped Broccoli (I used the broccoli florets I'd frozen previously)
1 Tbs. unsalted butter
1 Tbs whole wheat flour
6 Tbs. milk
1.5 ounces sharp cheddar cheese, shredded
Salt & Pepper

Boil/steam the broccoli to the tenderness of your liking. Meanwhile, in a separate sauce pan, melt butter over medium heat. Once the butter starts to sizzle, add in the flour and mix well. Let these two hang out for a bit getting nice and bubbly. Slowly add in the milk, stir until thickened. Slowly add in the shredded cheese. Once the cheese has melted into the sauce, shut off the heat (so you don't scorch it). Drain the broccoli, return to pan, add cheese sauce. If you did like I did and over boiled the broccoli, it will be a bit mushy and when you add in the cheese sauce, it'll break into smaller pieces. Season w/ salt and pepper to taste.

As mentioned, ours turned into more of a mush, but it was still very tasty! Ajay devoured his and I kept nibbling from Alex's plate (he hasn't been eating much these days - toddlers!).

Made as above, this will make 4 half-cup servings at about 96 calories per serving. (2pts. per serving for those counting Points)

No comments: